I learned a lot about myself last night. First of all, I'm a lot less self-assured when it comes to asking someone for their time and help. I found myself awkwardly standing at the bus stop, a few feet away from the bar, avoiding the crowds of people. I started feeling insecure and becoming hyper-aware of every movement I made, wondering if everyone there could tell I was nervous, wondering what they thought I was doing there alone...I was in my head.
After a few minutes of warming up to my environment, with the microphones in my pocket, I asked two men if they're in a rush. They walked past me like I was an obnoxious kiosk retailer at the mall, barely made eye contact and said, "Yeah, we are."
I got it over with. So then I asked again, this time a tiny Asian gay man with a beautiful smile and an older white gentleman with a beer belly. I said, "I have a really odd proposition." They replied, "Is this a scam or something?"
After explaining my project, they were more than happy to help and actually ended up talking for 7-9 minutes each, providing different perspectives and getting really passionate. They went on tangents and completely off topic, but I'm giving them points for what they did correctly (like AICE).
I ran into several problems: the lighting sucks, framing is hard, keeping people on topic is kind of impossible, and my arm gets tired holding my phone up for so long. I'm going to work on color correcting and see what I can do. Between the flash of my phone, the street lights and car lights, it wasn't easy to find a spot where the shot looked decent. Framing is also a challenge because my phone is attached to the mic, so I can't move too far away from the person being interviewed.
Anyway, I'm grateful to have met those two men who were so kind and enthusiastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment