Friday, March 15, 2019

CCR

Happy Friday!

Today in class we reviewed CCR expectations and requirements. Last year, my CCR was terrible and last minute, but I would like to believe I've learned my lesson. With that in mind, I'm going to begin answering my questions today and film with Lau after Spring Break. Our plan is to do an interview style with cutaways to b-roll footage, screen recordings, etc. to make it as engaging as possible. I think interviewing with Lau will make me feel less uptight and therefor more "human" in my responses, maybe even, you know, display some personality...

Anyway. Here are the questions: 

1. How do your products use or challenge conventions and how do they represent social groups or issues?
2. How do the elements of your production work together to create a sense of ‘branding’?
3. How do your products engage with the audience and how would they be distributed as real media products?
4. How did you integrate technologies – software, hardware and online – in this project?

I can only provide a solid answer for the first one so far... 
In Welcome to the Gayborhood I decided to follow conventions...selectively. I followed the convention of being truthful and non biased in my production because I believe that is by far the most important aspect of a documentary. I took the idea of documenting reality to an extreme by documenting the taboo; the 2 AM conversations with drunken club-goers, for example. This represents the LGBTQ community since Wilton Manors is the second gayest city in the country, and with the representation of this particular social group comes a social issue: homophobia. Although there is controversy surrounding this, I personally believe the Pulse shooting was a hate crime. My goal was to honestly represent Wilton Manors nightlife, but also the detrimental affects on queer nightlife following the Pulse shooting. Instead of going about it in a formal way, I wanted to remain authentic to myself and Wilton Manors. The footage is zany, filmed on an iPhone and the questions asked during interviews don't elicit a "sophisticated" response. This, in a way, challenges conventions. It's not digestible for advertising companies with a weak stomach. 

I will likely edit this in the future, because writing is rewriting as the guest speaker, Nick, in our class said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Links

My website is published, my extract and CCR are uploaded and my poster is finished! This is such a good feeling. I'm so happy I didn...