Thursday, April 4, 2019

About the Episode

My previous idea was a 5-episode series, but with the new change in topics, I'm adding another episode. Below is what I had planned before:

Episode 1: With that being said, the first episode will focus on the local and well-renowned LGBTQ history museums, including the Stonewall National Museum and Archives and World AIDS Museum and Educational Center. I think this gives the city credibility as an LGBTQ center in the country and acts as a reminder of why LGBTQ cities are important. 

Episode 2: This episode will focus on local businesses. I want to give some of my favorite businesses in the area recognition and exposure, while also asking them questions about their relationship with their costumers and how they think their business would do in a less gay-friendly location. 

Episode 3: This episode will be the transition from local businesses to night-life. I want to explore the gay bars, clubs, and night-life scene of Wilton Manors, which I find to be particularly interesting because it is one of the few places that young women, like myself, can feel relatively safe walking alone in at night. I want to examine the police presence in Wilton Manors and whether or not their intervention is often based in internalized discriminatory views of the LGBTQ community. 

Episode 4: I will dedicate the fourth episode to drag queens and performers in Wilton Manors. This was my initial goal of the docuseries and I imagine it would be the most difficult to execute. I want several interviews with different performers, from full-time drag queens to amateurs, exploring their unique struggles as performers that are often frowned upon and face high rates of discrimination and assault. 

Episode 5: The last episode is what I plan on demonstrating in my 5 minute extract. It will center around the city following the Pulse shooting; a post-Pulse epilogue that ends the series with a half-empowering and half-tragic feeling, depending on the tone of the interviews. This includes night-life following Pulse, protests, fear, hate crimes, etc. It is a bulky topic but one that needs to be addressed. 

...

And here is what I have planned now: 


Episode 1: With that being said, the first episode will focus on the local and well-renowned LGBTQ history museums, including the Stonewall National Museum and Archives and World AIDS Museum and Educational Center. I think this gives the city credibility as an LGBTQ center in the country and acts as a reminder of why LGBTQ cities are important. 

Episode 2: This is the episode that I will be showcasing in my 5 minute extract. I've decided to make it about how Wilton Manors impacts LGBTQ youth. I'm placing here in the series because it goes from why the history of LGBTQ cities need to be preserved, respected and understood, to why the youth benefits tremendously from cities that value self expression and embracing your identity.

Episode 3: This episode will focus on local businesses. I want to give some of my favorite businesses in the area recognition and exposure, while also asking them questions about their relationship with their costumers and how they think their business would do in a less gay-friendly location. 

Episode 4: This episode will be the transition from local businesses to night-life. I want to explore the gay bars, clubs, and night-life scene of Wilton Manors, which I find to be particularly interesting because it is one of the few places that young women, like myself, can feel relatively safe walking alone in at night. I want to examine the police presence in Wilton Manors and whether or not their intervention is often based in internalized discriminatory views of the LGBTQ community. 

Episode 5: I will dedicate the fourth episode to drag queens and performers in Wilton Manors. This was my initial goal of the docuseries and I imagine it would be the most difficult to execute. I want several interviews with different performers, from full-time drag queens to amateurs, exploring their unique struggles as performers that are often frowned upon and face high rates of discrimination and assault. 

Episode 6: The last episode is what I plannED on demonstrating in my 5 minute extract. It will center around the city following the Pulse shooting; a post-Pulse epilogue that ends the series with a half-empowering and half-tragic feeling, depending on the tone of the interviews. This includes night-life following Pulse, protests, fear, hate crimes, etc. It is a bulky topic but one that needs to be addressed. 

I'm excited for episode 2. Even though it's not what I initially planned, this episode gives me an opportunity to have an important discussion with my peers. It's also going to engage with another potential audience: parents/relatives of LGBTQ children. If this type of show were shown to parents of a queer child, the parent could potentially garner a new level of respect for their kid's community and be supportive in their child finding their own "safe space". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Links

My website is published, my extract and CCR are uploaded and my poster is finished! This is such a good feeling. I'm so happy I didn...