Friday, April 12, 2019

Getting Emotional/Final Reflective Comments

I'm currently on an editing break, eating a clementine and reminiscing on the last 8 weeks of this project. There have been so many ups and downs for me, between getting my phone and footage stolen and having to start up with a new topic, rushing to fit it all in, to actually finding the time to do it and feeling proud of myself...it's been a lot. I knew from the beginning that I wanted my docuseries to be on Wilton Manors, and when I say the beginning, I mean the real beginning, the beginning of AICE Media Studies A level type of beginning. Being able to actually execute this idea and leave high school having created an entire brand that not only reflects a community that I love, but a part of myself that I love, is an indescribably rewarding feeling. I have dedicated so much thought and time into this project, everyone around me knows that I've been working on it. Right now I'm in Disney World with my family, but I went back to the hotel because I knew I needed to be responsible and edit, or I'd regret it later. I've become a much better editor, although I didn't get to learn new software like I wanted to, I got a lot faster and more confident using iMovie. I also have a new appreciation for Wix. Ironically, my yoga mentor wants me to create a website for the yoga/healing services I offer, and I will definitely be using Wix for that. I feel like I have more tools under my belt now, and I leave for college in a little over 2 months, so having developed these skills makes me feel more confident. This project, and this class in general, made me realize that I want to double major in creative writing and digital media studies. I love learning about how influential the media is, both subconsciously and consciously, and the impacts this has on social groups, particularly the LGBTQ community. Being so passionate about my topic for this portfolio project made all the work much more bearable. I feel like I'm contributing to my community and giving an ode to Wilton Manors before I leave for college. I've always said one of the things I'll miss most about living at home is Wilton Manors--there really is nothing like it, especially not in Tallahassee. I've made some of my craziest, most fun memories at Wilton Manors and it helped me grow into the expressive young adult I am now. When I was 14 and went to Wilton Manors for the first time, I was much more shy and reserved. I had lavender hair and was dipping my toes into the pool of liberation, of queerness and of self-expression. Now I'm 17 and I walk into Wilton Manors like I'm the damn mayor (who, by the way, I never got to interview). 

I'm really grateful for Mrs. Stoklosa, who was almost as excited about my topic as I was, and   more importantly, reassuring throughout the process of losing my phone and having to change my topic. I told her that my biggest fear with this project was disappointing her, and she told me, "I really don't think that'll happen." With that being said, TStok, I know you're reading this and I really hope you're not disappointed.

Gonna go grab another clementine and keep editing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Links

My website is published, my extract and CCR are uploaded and my poster is finished! This is such a good feeling. I'm so happy I didn...