Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Netflix Distribution

I've watched several docuseries on Netflix and after viewing the Netflix demographics, and being familiar with it as a viewer myself, I think an LGBTQ docuseries would thrive on the streaming site. Also, one my biggest inspirations is Tangerine, a drama/crime/comedy about two transgender sex workers living in L.A and it was filmed on an iPhone and distributed on Netflix. 
Image result for tangerine poster
If I want it to be distributed on Netflix (NOT a Netflix Original), my poster, website, and introduction don't have to meet specific criteria or include Netflix. For Tangerine, the poster looked pretty standard and didn't mention Netflix at all. It did, however, mention the Sundance Film Festival award the film received, which is something I would need to include to garner the attention of Netflix. 



I read up on how a film would get distributed on Netflix and according to medium.com, 
"Despite the world of high technology, most Netflix deals are made the “old fashioned” way:
You find a distributor or rep for your film (or TV show),
The distributor or rep cuts a deal with Netflix,
You get paid a licensing fee for one or two years, or whatever is negotiated."
-how-to-sell-your-movie-or-tv-show-to-netflix-hulu-amazon-and-others-63eea0ba30b7

Basically, I don't have to exclusively have my docuseries on Netflix for it to still get picked up by Netflix. Netflix has a relatively large LGBTQ representation; I couldn't find the exact number of how many LGBTQ films/documentaries/T.V shows are on Netflix, presumably because they're always adding and deleting, but I did find an updated complete list from 2018. I think my docuseries will fit in well with its fellow gay-friendly media on Netflix and offer something that, to my knowledge, has never been done before: Post-pulse night-life for the queer community. Upon researching this, I came across 49 Pulses, which I will watch this weekend at the latest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Links

My website is published, my extract and CCR are uploaded and my poster is finished! This is such a good feeling. I'm so happy I didn...